Thursday, May 19, 2005

You Do not Get This in the Large Multiplexes

I have never done anything like this. I went to the midnight showing of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Now I was not going to Columbia to see it at that hour. I would not have gotten home til after 3:00 AM. As it turns out I would have also spent at least 50% more (assuming I got the tickets at face value). It turned out the mom-and-pop theatre around the corner from my house was showing it and was only charging their usual admission price of five bucks a pop. Some of my son's friends at church had paid scalpers $15 a head to go to Columbia to see it. They missed out on the fun. Now the Little Theatre was built in the early-mid Twentieth Century. The interior can best be described as on-the-cheap art deco. It is currenbtly owned by a couple in thier mid-40's. It is a nice, quaint family friendly place that shows first-run movies at a good price. Keep your multiplexes. I wish more movie houses were like this. You get intangibles here you don't get there. First of all, nobody had to settle for a bad seat, I don't think there were fifty people in the place. Then came the other nice little "small town" touches. After the trailers started they stopped the projector twice to get the sound right. They announced this by yelling the announcement from the projection booth (I love this place). The trailers were for Stealth,Batman Begins and The Fantastic Four (the two latter are the ones I'm most interested in). But once it started, the movie came off without a hitch. Just a nice, cozy little "crowd"
As to the movie itself, I thought it was the best of the three "prequels" and second best of the six. That is all I am going to say about it right now (mainly I am too lazy to write a spoiler warning. For now I will leave you with these words from that classic parody, Hardware Wars, "You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll kiss three bucks good bye![yeah, I know it's much more than that now]"

No comments: