Monday, July 04, 2005

Sit Down, John!

I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm and that three or more become a congress. And, by God I have had this congress! For ten years King George and his parliament have gulled, cullied and diddled these colonies with their illegal taxes: stamp acts, Townshend acts, sugar acts, tea acts. And when we have dared to stand up like men he has restrained our trade, siezed our ships, blockaded our ports, burned our homes and spilled our blood!
Ans yet this congress has yet to grant any of my proposals on independence even the courtesy of an open debate. Good God! What in the hell are you waiting for?

-John Adams
I had posted this earlier and it seems to have disappeared, along with a comment from my friend, Hans Bricks. I hate when posts get eaten, I hadn't even opened the dashboard let alone edit. Oh well.
Happy 4th of July!

No comments: