Wednesday, June 22, 2005

No Apology Necessary

Douglas Woods, an Australian engineer who was being held hostage in Iraq by insurgents was rescued after being held for nearly seven weeks. What is interesting is what he said in a public statement related in an AP story:
"Frankly, I'd like to apologize to both President Bush and Prime Minister [John] Howard for the things I said under duress," said Mr. Wood, with his American wife, Yvonne Given, and his brothers, Vernon and Malcolm, and their wives by his side.
"I actually believe that I am proof positive that the current policy of training the Iraqi army ... works because it was Iraqis that got me out," he said.

I especially loved the last part of that quote, "I actually believe that I am proof positive that the current policy of training the Iraqi army ... works because it was Iraqis that got me out,". This man obviously gets it. Of course, not everybody is happy about this. Australia's top Mullah is having a hissy because this operation may have endangered Iraqi hostages still being held. And American Muslims wonder why they are viewed with suspicion and contempt.
I also noticed that the treatment Mr. Wood was such he did not want to discuss because it was too traumatic. Wonder if Dick Durbin will denounce the insurgents conduct with the same zeal he misrepresented conditions at Gitmo.
Mr. Wood, you owe nobody an apology. You were under duress. It is very unusual that hostage statements made during captivity can be construed as anything else. Any resonable person would realize that .

No comments: